Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day 43 - Twins vs. Braves

Went for a Synagis vaccine and checkup yesterday. Of all places for a twice-baked meltdown, I suppose the pedes office is amongst the "best". More on that in a moment.


I arrived at the office with both babes, feeling a little like royalty--doors being opened for me left and right. Haven't quite gotten the knack for door opening with a carrier in each hand. Must continue my training. (But O Master, where art thou?) I barely had time to set down the carriers and check in before the traveling peanut gallery opened for business.

 "Oh, Honey, TWO!" One lady began, somewhat innocuously. 
Another lady followed, "Oh, you're brave!" Beg pardon? I'm not even sure what she was trying to say. As a nurse led us back to a room, I responded to the lady, "Like I have a choice." The nurse laughed. Seriously, "brave?"


I guess I take this stuff too seriously. In my mind, it's not unlike dealing with rude/stupid drivers. You know when you get so mad at someone who cuts you off or slights you in some other vehicularly impaired manner? Sometimes I find it difficult to remember that it's only one person--not the same person, out to get you every time. Everyone's entitled to a mistake, or a lapse in judgment. Am I arguing for or against myself? Just trying to rationalize my venting.


Boy's diaper rash finally seems to have gone. I can't believe it took three months.  (Almost to the day.) It seemed like it was often on the verge of resolving--like there was something preventing it from reaching 100% I just couldn't put my finger on it. (Eww.)


So, back to the twinfuriaton. Upon arrival at the pedes office, both babes were sleeping like...(hah, that's a ridiculous axiom)...babies. The nurse showed us to a room, gave the usual "down to the diaper" instruction, weighed them and left. It was about then that they let loose with perhaps the single....double....largest co-conniption I had ever seen. I was rocking, swaying, bouncing (not shaking) and shushing my heart out--to no avail. Meanwhile, Boy was clearly doing a lousy job at concealing a poopy diaper. I changed him on the table, both still wailing, and returned to my feeble attempts at soothing. That lasted about five to ten minutes until they finally regained control. I never knew how incredibly frustrating it would be to endure a tantrum that has no apparent motivation. x2. This played out like a bad Mr. Mom/Daddy Daycare/yadda yadda movie; it was seriously no more than 30 seconds of calm before.......the nurse returned with the syringes.


Needles to say (sorry) there was another period of...unrest before we were able to leave. (Regardless, they have to wait ten minutes following Synagis in case they break out or swell up into blueberries, etc.)


I wish I could say that they spent the remainder of the afternoon sleeping it off. Unfortunately, I suspect the Synagis may have been laced with Red Bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment