Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 11 - Putting the Grin in Chagrin

At 8:00 this morning, my little tank boy gave me a wonderful gift--he smiled at me. :) At first, I was naturally suspicious of other forces at work. I tried some more goofy cooing and it worked--three more times. It's official--he can stay! I was really looking forward to this moment--more so than any developmental milestone to date. To this point, they've been so apparently oblivious to their world. I mean, they respond to some sounds and gaze at bright colors and patterns, but until today I haven't felt as if they've had any real appreciation for their environment. It's perhaps especially rewarding following yesterday--a busy, crazy, but doable day!


The emotional caveat is that the smile occurred during my feeding shift as Wifey slept in the next room. I posted my excitement on facebook before returning to bed. By the time I woke up, she had seen my post. I felt a little bad about that.


It's unrealistic to hope that the twins' milestones will always occur at similar times--let alone the same day. And then one did. Girlie smiled at me at 1:15 this afternoon. How gorgeous--one of those big, open-mouthed baby smiles! My faith in this smile's genuineness was something slightly less than 100%. Not that I think she was leading me on--I was merely able to coax two of them. But I'm counting it!


Did Wifey get to see this one? Sadly, no. She was getting her hair did.


This is something she and I have discussed; it's likely that she will miss more of these milestones as they occur. We're both a little sad about that. All I can do is keep the video cam handy. Maybe she'll witness the first solid poop! I love you, Wifey. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment